Sunday, February 28, 2010

Living Consciously

This won't be a long post, just something I wanted to throw down on "paper".

Today I started packing, albeit a little late as I'm supposed to be out of this place tomorrow. Turns out my life fits into one small Uhaul box and one medium, excluding my clothes and paintings. I live this way for this very reason, I like to be able to get up and go at any time, but I digress.

As I've been packing away my stuff, I've come across a few things with memories attached, forcing me to remember the times I had forgotten. As I was packing my clothes into my "visiting people" luggage, I found that I was taking the time to smooth out the items.

This seems like such a small thing, but it made me realize the great change I've been through in the past two weeks since I quit my job. I'm taking the time to pay attention to what I'm doing. As I've been driving around taking care of my last business in town, I've noticed things about my city that I never did before. I'm spending time with people I haven't spoken to in a long time because I never had time while concentrating so much on my job. I'm actually living life.

It's funny, seeing life as though through new eyes. It makes me wonder why I allowed myself to sleep, to dream the Great American Dream for so long when the real world is so much more beautiful. Back to packing.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't hurt to have some reading material of people who did the same thing you are doing. Check out the book "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. Outstanding book and a cautionary tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the recommendation, Stenographer. I have unfortunately only seen the movie, but I have read a lot of information about McCandless, and his story played a part in the inspiration to go on my trip. I only hope mine is as exciting as his, and that I come out alive. :)

    ReplyDelete