Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Introduction May Be Necessary...

So most of the people who will ever see this site will already know me. However, I would like to think that maybe someone will one day, at 2am, stumble on this little blog, and I figure if that happens it might be nice for them to know who I am and what this is all about.

As of the time of writing, I am a 27 year old web-developer for a major investment firm. Tomorrow at 4:30pm, I will be a 27 year old unemployed man. My name is John. For those that do already know me (why are you reading this?) they will recognize that it isn't my real name, but more on that later.

Last Thursday, after a sleepless night, I decided to quit my job. It had been coming for a while, as I had felt the stress bubbling up ever so slowly over a period of two years. I had worked for this company for 7 years, but I had held a new position for the past two. I had always wanted a job in web development because it's something I'm rather good at. It's funny how those things happen, when you think you want something for so long, you get it, and a week later you realize that it wasn't at all what you wanted. That was me a month after landing this job. Sure, I was making decent money, but it lacked any kind of humanity, working for a faceless corporation. A month after I started I could already feel that it wasn't going to work. But I had wanted it for so long, I was in denial. I figured if I just stuck at it then I'd get used to it.

Fast forward two years, to 7am last Thursday, and that bubble popped. I feel starved of humanity, and I need to get it back. I need to see people, have new experiences, and take some time to see the world around me.

Right now, I have approximately an 8,500 mile roadtrip tentatively planned. I hope to be bouncing around between my dear friends' houses, hostels, sleeping in my car, and camping. I expect the trip to take about 45-60 days, depending on how many places I decide to stop at and how long.

As for my name, it's the name many people know me as on Facebook. I had originally signed up to Facebook under the name John Johnson to avoid the gaze of the human resources department's beady eyes. I decided to use it here because it's a very average name, and I want to show that anyone can do this (for reasons that I'll explain in a later blog entry).

Tomorrow, I'll be jobless. Next Sunday, I'll be homeless. I am wracked with fear and excitement. I think this is enough to tell you about myself for now. If you continue to follow the blog, then I'm sure you'll learn at lot more as you go.

( Friends and strangers both, if you would like me to visit you on my tour please email me at collapsedwavefunction@yahoo.com or leave a comment with your email address )

1 comment:

  1. Just think if I had picked up the phone at 4:30 AM this might never have happened. ;-)

    ReplyDelete