Monday, February 22, 2010

On The Desire To Break Free

One of the things that has struck me as interesting since my decision to take this trip was the reaction I have received from my friends. I never realized just how many people want to do this very same thing. Almost every one of the people I have spoken to about this trip has said something along the lines of "I wish I could do that". Three separate people asked me to start this blog specifically so they could "live vicariously through me".

I wasn't quite ready for this reaction. In all honesty, I had quite expected everyone to call me a dumbass for quitting the nice job and giving up my place of residence, especially given the current economic climate. Not a single person has said a disparaging remark. It seems to me that everyone yearns to break free. Young and old, rich and poor, male and female.

This also played a part in my decision to use my pseudonym here, to write as John, everyman. I would love to inspire others to come to the realization that they can shrug off the chains and really live life, even if only for a while. Even couples and entire families can do this with a little more effort. http://www.vagabonding.net has some good testimonials from all sorts of people who have taken to the road in various ways.

Now some of you may be thinking "Well you haven't even started your road-trip yet, how can you say that anyone can do it?". This very question was the reason that I had not written this post until today. This evening, though, I realized that no matter what happens, I'm already successful. This isn't about how long I keep my foot on the gas pedal, nor how high I can drive my odometer. This is about breaking free, living the way I want to (at least for a while).

This endeavor has been successful since the day I took my first step on the road. I have no idea what this path holds in the future, but I look forward to finding out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to all of the vicarious dragon's we'll be slaying, adventures we'll be having, bright non light polluted stars we'll be gazing and all of the hot young bitches that will rally around our badassery. Yes, badassery.

    ReplyDelete